Saturday 13 November 2010

Here comes the bride - by water taxi.......

Wow, what a day....where to start my account of the wedding of Mr Tim Shrimpton and Miss Kay Annals.  I can only give you my account so here goes......

The day started fairly leisurely for myself (although I'm sure not for others involved), the wedding was to take place at 4pm in the Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney and afterwards on the Blue Room, more of that later.  So, from a brother's point of view, all I had to do was to get to Kay's house in Kirribilli for 3pm and photos.  Not wanting to be late I left my apartment at 1pm, knowing that the journey should only take half an hour anyway.  I was dressed in my hired suit, shirt and tie and the temperature was 28 degrees - so I headed underground for the train and to escape the heat.  The train took me through the city to Circular Quay to catch the ferry across the harbour to Milsons Point, a short 10 minute trip.  I was there in plenty of time and grabbed a quick takeaway lunch while waiting for the ferry.  Once on the other side of the harbour I could see the view that Kay has every day.  She lives in Kirribilli which is directly opposite the Opera House and her building is on the waterfront so has uninterrupted views of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge from both a bedroom and the living room - truly breathtaking.

I arrived at Kay's nice and early - as a brother should - to find that she wasn't in.  The hairdresser had taken longer than expected (4 hours) and they were on their way back.  After a frantic few moments the dress was on.....


The bride looked stunning and there were parental tears, as there should be when a daughter gets married.  A few photos later and it was time for an emotional mother and proud brother to leave for the ceremony.  Our journey was by road, across the bridge to the Royal Botanical Gardens.  The journey of the bridesmaids, father of the bride and glowing bride was justifiably far more grand but first a couple of photos of proud parents:












The Royal Botanical Gardens are adjacent to the Sydney Opera House, just a short walk from the front steps of this famous landmark.  The site of the wedding was about 200 yards inside the gates on a flat grassy area that looks directly back at the Opera House.  Being a public place there were quite a few onlookers at all the funny wedding guests in full regalia, all slowly melting in the sun!!  The location of the ceremony was very special indeed:


Such a beautiful setting deserves a stunning entrance by the bride and that was provided by a white water taxi which docked (albeit over15 minutes late) at a private dock at the foot of the Opera House steps:


The bride walked up through the park to a symphony of applause from everyone in the gardens, complete strangers who added greatly to a very special day.  I had spoken to Tim prior to Kay's arrival to check with him that it was okay for me to be everywhere armed with both video camera and still camera in an effort to capture as much as possible for those who could not be there with us due to the distances involved.  Sadly this was a great number of people who were dearly missed but in everyone's thoughts.  Tim had agreed to my camera antics and I think I managed to get photos from pretty much every angle imaginable - it must have looked very strange to the amassed crowds for this restless person to be constantly wandering throughout the ceremony - and I sure I must have annoyed some of the assembled guests......

The ceremony contained two readings, the formalities expected as well as a sand ceremony performed by the bride, groom and their mothers.  This was an Australian tradition which involves the pouring of two different coloured sands alternately into a heart shaped vase, creating a unique and permanent memento of the occasion for the bride and groom.


Following a wonderful ceremony, delivered perfectly by Sue, a very close friend of Tim's family, pink champagne was served to the guests before the photos took place.  The photographer, Michael, was fantastic and there will be some very special memories captured through that lens...


Mr and Mrs Shrimpton invite you all to attend the Blue Room.............

No comments: