Tuesday 5 February 2008

We're in Singapore

After a 12 hour flight - which was only 1 hour delayed at Heathrow - we are finally in Singapore. We saw a bit of Singapore on our half hour drive to the hotel, along with non-stop commentary by Mr. Kumar. Luke was spellbound! We had been worrying that he'd cry because everyone had been making a big thing about going on a plane to see auntie Kay and we kept forgetting to remind him there would be a 3 day stop off first.

We survived the flight. Luke went to sleep 5 minutes after take off (after a dose of cough medicine for his cold) and only woke about an hour and half before we landed demanding a fruit shoot and breakfast! Lee managed about 5 hours sleep but I wasn't so lucky - I was in the middle of the row with a snoring American to my left and a splayed out Luke to my right and a guy in front who pushed his seat right back. Even when I lowered mine it didn't free my lower body and I got quite claustrophobic - I eventually woke Lee up to let me out for a walk up and down the aircraft - my ankles look twice their usual size. To top it all whilst I was awake the movie system broke down so I couldn't finish watching the rest of Atonement. Luke didn't get his activity bag because he was asleep but that is one less thing to carry as we are well over our baggage limit for the next leg (we're allowed 3kg more with BA than Quantas) - I may get to Sydney 2 stone lighter as I will be wearing all of my clothes!

Singapore is beautiful. Everything is pleasing to the eye from buildings to cars (until you get to the harbour that is). The island we are staying on is built on reclaimed land so everything is man made but it is made to look natural. I dread to think how much has been spent on development. Mr. Kumar gave us a quick background and was very proud of the fact that there are no state benefits, strict laws and a low crime rate (except for pickpockets but apparently they come from other countries!). Smoking is governed by strict laws and chewing gum is illegal - we've also discovered that we shouldn't wear black or white over the next few days as it is bad luck during the New Year - hmm, could be tricky with my wardrobe.

We'd heard that this will be where the jet lag hits but as it is we arrived at about 8pm Singapore time (8 hours ahead of the UK) and as we had a disrupted night we should be able to sleep okay - once the party in the hotel finishes. Luke is sound asleep after only being awake for 4 hours, though we're not complaining.

We're regretting not having a longer stay as we've been told that we won't be able to visit many places as tomorrow is Chinese New Year's Eve and then the next 2 days are a public holiday - so everywhere is shut! We're going to try to make it into Chinatown for the celebrations tomorrow and then spend the next day by the pool. Our flight is at 9am on Friday morning so we have an early start but at least we will arrive with Kay on the same day that we leave.

Welcome to the year of the Rat.

No comments: